Wednesday, February 29, 2012

This weekend was the Sheep in the City knitting retreat held in Milwaukee at a hotel near the airport.  I missed last years but went Friday with my mom, a knitter,  and was there the year before also on Friday.  There were fewer vendors this time - only fourteen.  There were at least twenty 2 years ago if not more.  The show is well run and well set up but attendance was much lower yesterday.  There is a Knitter's circle set up in the center of the conference room with about 75 chairs and the vendors surround the room.  Last time I was there there were maybe ten free chairs, this time maybe ten occupied chairs.  Had been hoping to meet up with more people I know but only 3.  Lots of hand died yarns, baskets, sewed pouches and needle holders but I wanted to mention a couple highlights.  

Corny Goodness out of Benson Minnesota would win my award for best booth.  Their yarn is spun from 100% corn.the colors were beautiful.  Some solids, some handpaint shaded and some Handpaint multicolor.  Lots of springy shades.  They had many samples of items knit up with just one skein of their yarn.  They had those patterns for sale.  All skeins were $14 and they had a fingering weight and a light worsted.  The other cool thing they had was a basket with smaller skeins - 3 for $14.  You could choose your own color combination.  You could also choose one of six free patterns to make with those yarns.  Really nice people too. A husband and wife team.  He was so funny.  He modeled the samples.  They sell online too.  The yarn is beautiful and so summery.
No - I am not affiliated in any way with them but I was just so impressed.  So many of the other booths lacked personality.

The other booth I wanted to mention was called Kitty Grrlz.  She was also very friendly and was selling the ruffly scarves as well as the yarns to make them as well as other hand knit items.  I started talking to her about how she made the ruffly scarves.  (red heart sashay, sundance frill, premier yarns starbella). She casted on lengthwise on a circular needle and joined the yarn to make an infinity scarf.  She spent so much time with my mom and I that we bought a skein of the frill from her in a silver and white color way for my mom to knit up for me even though she already had boughten several skeins of Sashay from Mary Maxim.  These long way scarves were really pretty.

No comments: